Kenneth Ducker, MD Castro Valley Office
1.What do you enjoy most about pediatrics?~ I enjoy seeing both patients and parents grow and change over the year. Every child is an individual, and I am always impressed by their unique personality and development.
2. Professional interests? ~ I love being a general pediatrician and seeing children of all ages with a variety of issues. Although they are very different, I am most interested in behavioral pediatrics and the hospital care of sick children.
3. Education? ~ I attended Oberlin College and New York University School of Medicine. I completed my internship at Albany Medical Center in New York state and my residency at Children’s Hospital Oakland.
4. Personal interests ~ I enjoy outdoor activities, including running, hiking, and swimming. I also enjoy reading, music, movies, and travel. My favorite vacations include international travel to natural sites.
5. Family? ~ I have of wife, two grown sons, and two grandchildren. I enjoy spending time with all of them, especially visiting my grandchildren in Southern California.
6. Favorite book/movie?~ I like to read fiction on many topics, so I can’t chose one favorite. The same with movies; I like any that tell a good story and develop interesting characters.
Michael Usem, MD Oakland Office
Dr. Michael Usem came to Stanford University from Minnesota for his undergraduate work and then traveled back to the University of Minnesota for medical school to complete his M.D. He finished his residency at Children's Hospital, Oakland, and has been supervising and teaching resident physicians and students at both Children's Hospital, Oakland and UC San Francisco medical school. He is certified by the American Board of Pediatrics and is a founding partner of Primary Pediatric Medical Group. Dr.Usem is currently President of the Medical Staff at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center. In his spare time he enjoys music, walking, tennis, hiking, skiing, and traveling with his wife and two boys.
Patricia Chiang, MD Oakland Office
1.What do you enjoy most about pediatrics? ~ Working with families to optimize health in the present and future. And all those cute kids!
2.Professional Interests? ~Healthy development in young children and Teen medicine.
3. Education? ~ Cal Berkeley, Temple University Medical School, and UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital residency program.
4. Personal interests ~ Running, reading, and Netflix
5. Family? ~Husband and three teens.
6. Favorite Book ~Love all mystery books and forensic thrillers.
Kathryn Burge, MD Alameda Office
Dr. Kathryn Burge is a board-certified pediatrician who has been in practice since 2015 after completing her medical degree at the University of Colorado and her residency at UCSF Benioff Children’s hospital of Oakland. She also holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from Boston College.
She joined PPMG in the summer of 2017 and splits her time between our Castro Valley and Oakland offices. She has a rich history of multiple and varied research and volunteer experiences in African orphanages and local community centers. Dr. Burge, who is also fluent in French, enjoys spending time with her husband and two young children.
Erica Glenn, MD Castro Valley Office
As a Board Certified pediatrician, Dr. Glenn joined PPMG in July 2016 at our Castro Valley office. She attended St. Louis University School of Medicine after earning an undergraduate degree at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, NC with a BA degree in Exercise and Sport Science with honors. Her residency training was at UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital in Oakland where she attained the distinction of Chief Resident. She has volunteered as a mentor for the Community Health and Adolescent Mentoring Program for Success (CHAMPS) and was a licensed and certified athletic trainer who works out chasing after her young son. We were very pleased to have Dr. Glenn join our team but now we all have to stay in shape!
Georganne Walker, PNP Alameda Office
Georganne Walker, P.N.P., IBCLC, completed her B.S. in Nursing at University of San Francisco and received her Masters in Nursing from UCSF. She became a certified pediatric nurse practitioner in 1994 and an internationally board certified lactation consultant in 2002. Georganne worked as a staff nurse at Children's Hospital Oakland from 1985 until 2002 where she worked in the neonatal intensive care unit, the emergency department, and the Pediatric Urgent Referral Line. From 1994-2004 she was with Rainbow Pediatrics as a Nurse Practitioner and Lactation Consultant. When not busy at Primary Pediatric Medical Group (PPMG), Georganne facilitates a breastfeeding support group at Alta Bates Hospital where she also works as a lactation consultant. Georganne joined PPMG in December 2004. She is married and enjoys spending time with her husband and two sons. She also enjoys hiking, cycling, gardening, cooking, and sewing.
Susan Alford, PNP Alameda Office
Susan Nicole Alford completed her undergraduate degree in nursing from the University of Alabama. She worked for 10 years at Children's Hospital of Alabama and Texas Children's Hospital in Houston as a pediatric nurse. Susan then completed a Master of Science in Nursing at the University of Texas Health Science Center in 2012. As a Certified Pediatric Nurse Practitioner in Primary Care, she worked at the Alaska Center for Pediatrics in Anchorage, AK. We were very please to have her move to Alameda with her husband and daughter and join the staff at PPMG. Her loves are family time, their 3 dogs, traveling, reading, cooking, bike riding and puzzles. She finds working with children fun because of their honesty and ability to make her laugh every day.
Bruce Horwitz, MD Oakland Office
Dr. Bruce Horwitz received his undergraduate degree from U.C. Berkeley, and completed medical school at Washington University in St. Louis. He is board certified by the American Board of Pediatrics and has been practicing in his hometown of Oakland for more than 40 years. Dr. Horwitz is one of Primary Pediatric Medical Group's founding physicians, helping to form the group in 1996 after many years in solo practice. He was formerly the doctor for the Childrens Home Society, the Oakland Athletics Major League Baseball, Oakland Marathon and the Alcatraz Triathalon. Not surprisingly, he enjoys sports medicine and is rewarded with success treating warts and ADHD. When not seeing patients, Dr. Horwitz enjoys his grandkids, biking and running marathons. In fact, he has run a marathon on all 7 continents!
Ruth Perez, CNP Oakland/Castro Valley Office
1. What do you enjoy most about pediatrics? ~ Being able to provide family centered healthcare, and seeing children and their family grow over the years.
2. Professional interests? ~ Anticipatory guidance, health promotion and disease prevention.
3. Education? ~ Undergraduate degree from U.C. Berkeley in Integrative Biology. Registered nurse license, Masters of science in nursing, and Family nurse practitioner program at Samuel Merritt University, and certified by the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners.
4. Personal Interests? ~ I enjoy baking, cooking, traveling, and especially spending time outdoors with my family-going for walks, hiking, bike riding.
5.Family/kids? ~ I enjoy spending time with my husband and my son who’s a toddler and keeps me on my toes.
6.Favorite book/movie? ~ I enjoy almost any book or movie that is lighthearted and makes me laugh.
Rei Masui, MD Castro Valley Office
Erica Hadley, MD Alameda Office
1. What do you enjoy most about Pediatrics? ~ I have loved working with children since I was a young teenager and babysat my neighbors. I enjoy watching children grow over time, seeing them develop from young babies and toddlers into young adults and the bright, curious, people they become. Continuity of care is what drove me to become a primary care provider because I enjoy building relationships with families.
2. Professional interests? ~ Preventive health including screening tests and vaccines, working with children with disabilities, would like to become more involved in legislative advocacy.
3. Education? Undergraduate at University of Oregon (B.S. in General Science with minor in Chemistry), medical school at Oregon Health & Science University, residency at UCSF BCHO
4.Personal interests? Hiking with my dog, going to the beach, camping, farmers markets.
5. Family/kids? ~ Born and raised in Sonoma where my family still lives, and happily exploring the East Bay with my friends and family.
6. Favorite book/movie? ~ Harry Potter which I grew up with in middle school and high school, favorite movie genre is comedy.